Text messages don't actually get deleted
Apple iOS stores every text message you ever made on your iPhone even you have deleted. When you using spotlight search to find something and maybe you will find that some text conversations you made months ago, which were deleted by yourself, are still showing up!
Apple customer support confirmed that and told me the only way to permanent remove all text messages and emails , is to do a master reset, or restore to factory setting on iTunes. This method will wipe all data from your phone. Your contacts , apps, and settings are also erased.
So, if you deleted your text messages by mistake. Lost data after jailbroken or upgrade to the latest iOS. You still have chance to retrieve them. Here we show you 3 ways to recover text messages you deleted from an iPhone
Method 1: Restore deleted SMS on iPhone from iCloud
If you have backed up your iPhone to iCloud, you can restore your iPhone text messages from the backup (iCloud backup may be the best backup you have for it can back up your device automatically over Wi-Fi every day while itís turned on, locked, and connected to a power source).
1. Go to your iPhone and choose Settings and iCloud.
2. Login iCloud account and choose Restore from iCloud Backup.
3. Select the backup you created earlier and restore. Then the deleted messages would be back.
Method 2: Restore deleted messages from iTunes Backup
If you didnít disabled the automatic sync option in iTunes, it will create a backup everytime you synched your iPhone with your computer.
Back_up_iPhone1. Connect your iPhone to the computer that has your backup file.
2. Open the iTunes. Make sure it is the latest version of iTunes.
3. After iTunes recognized your iPhone, click Restore backup button, or choose File > Devices > Restore from Back up. If you are using iTunes 10.7 or earlier, right-click the device from the list and choose Restore from Backup.
Method 3: Recover deleted text messages from iPhone by using a third-party tool
If you forget to back up your phone, you will need a 3rd-party data recovery tool. Which can directly scan your phone and find deleted content on it, then save them to computer. And it also can extract data from iTunes backup file.
1. Download iPhone Data Recovery software
- Wondershare Dr.Fone for iOS. It has both windows and Mac version.
2. Connect your iPhone to the computer and run the data recovery tool.
3. (Optional) iPhone 4/3GS user follow this step, else go to step 4. Put your phone into DFU Mode.
4. Click Start button, the software will scan your device and list the all recoverable data in a window.
5. You can preview text messages in the program, check those you want to recover and click Recover button. The software will save the messages to your computer as a .html or .csv file. The latest version of Dr.fone can put the recovered messages and imessages back to your iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.